It’s that time of year again when the squash are growing like crazy in your garden. Fall seems to be a perfect time for soups made with squash. Butternut squash are a great nutritionally rich food to add into your diet. Check out this website for the nutrient content of these hourglass beauties. http://www.wholeliving.com/134734/power-foods-butternut-squash
While I was serving this soup to my kids one of them exclaimed that I should call it “Magic Soup” because it was SO delicious! I was planning on having leftovers for lunch the next day, but much to my dismay (and delight) everyone ate it all up.
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash – hard skin removed and squash diced
- 1 sweet potatoes – diced
- 1 large onion – diced
- 1 tablespoon Mediterranean Basil
- 1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt pepper – to taste
- 3 cups of stock – you can use vegetable, chicken or beef
- 2 cups tomatoes – diced
- Place all of the ingredients into a crockpot and cook for 8-10 hours.
- After the soup has cook, pour the soup into a blender and mix until smooth. You might need to blend the soup in batches.
- Serve right away or you can pour it back into the crockpot to keep warm.