This is one of my favorite dishes I made last week. It might seem strange to mix Mexican flavoring and squash together, but this combination was AMAZING! The best part about it was the leftover I ate at lunch for the next couple of days.
Beware….it’s messy, but SOOOO good.
- 1 large sized spaghetti or butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) jar of salsa
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 large bell pepper or two small, cored and sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 cups corn kernels, frozen and defrosted or fresh
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, cored and sliced (optional)
- 6 green onions, sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use grass-fed cheese from Kerrygold)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the squash and then slice off the stem at the top. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and then use a spoon to scrap out the seeds and the darker yellow strands that the seeds are attached to.
- Rub 1 tablespoon of coconut oil on the inner edges of the squash and then place each half face down on the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30-45 minutes, depending on the size (longer for larger squash). The inside should scrape out easily when done.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the filling by warming up the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion for a few minutes and then add the peppers and jalapeno. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and cumin and cook to desired softness. I like mine with a little crunch so I only cooked them for about 6-7 minutes.
- When the squash is done cooking, allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Scrape about 3/4 of the inside out onto a dish and then layer the filling inside the squash (black beans and corn, peppers and onion, salsa and cilantro). Top with the squash you scooped out and press down then add another layer of filling, repeat until the squash is filled.
- Sprinkle green onion and shredded cheese on top.
- Cook for another 20-50 minutes.