Oh my, can I just say “YUMMMMM!” This recipe is a must do for any of you fish lovers. We ate this burger over sweet potato baked fries and topped it with a healthy serving of guacamole. I also made a handful of extra burgers so I could freeze them for lunches.
I love fish not only for its wonderful taste, but most importantly the nutrients it contains. Fish is high in quality protein, filled with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamins such as D and B2 (riboflavin). Fish is rich in calcium and phosphorus and a great source of minerals, such as iron, zinc, iodine, magnesium, and potassium.
- Best sources of omega 3 fatty acids: salmon, albacore tuna, mackerel, lake trout, Alaskan halibut, sardines, herring.
- Highest in protein per serving: tuna, salmon, snapper, swordfish. Most fish are similar in protein content. Best source of protein in grams per calorie of fish are: lobster, shrimp, tuna, cod.
- Highest vitamin B-12 content: clams, mackerel, herring, blue fin tuna, rainbow trout, and salmon.
- Highest in iron: clams, shrimp, mackerel, swordfish.
- Lowest in iron: orange roughy, snapper, sea bass.
- Highest in zinc: crab, lobster, swordfish, and clams.
- Highest in calcium: canned salmon with bones.
- Highest in total fat, saturated fats, and calories: mackerel.
- Lowest in total fat and saturated fat: lobster, orange roughy.
- Highest in cholesterol: shrimp, mackerel, lobster.
- Lowest in cholesterol: yellowfin tuna, albacore, tuna, snapper, halibut, grouper.
- Most risky fish for pollutants: wild catfish, shrimp, lake trout (warm-water fish and those in lakes from agrochemical run-off).
- Least risky fish for pollutants: deep-water ocean fish, salmon and tuna.
Sunflower Ahi Tuna Burger
source url Ingredients:
- 2 pounds Ahi Tuna
- 4 tablespoons Tamari sauce
- 2 green onions – sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive or Avocado oil
- 6 garlic – minced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Chop the tuna into 2 inch pieces.
- In a food processor add a few handfuls of tuna at a time and pulse until meat is chopped up.
- Transfer the meat into a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until completely blended.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the tuna.
- With your hands mix everything together.
- Using your hands form the burger patties.
- Grill or sauté 4-5 minutes each side.